12.20.2009

My Christmas Blessing


I survived. Yes, it was hard and yes I cried a little in the bathroom. But God was so good he sent me an unexpected blessing.


I got there and my heart was already heavy. I tried to focus on it being Christmas even though it doesn't even feel like December (metaphorically, because this December has been nice and cold). My husband's step sister was there and she really is a sweetheart. Her precious baby girl is about a month older than Jenna would have been, so naturally I look at her and think about my Jenna. I looked at her beautiful chubby cheeks and could only wonder what Jenna might have looked like at seven months...

I busied myself at the kitchen sink and made small talk with my family.

"You look good," my husband's SIL said. I felt so guilty. I shouldn't look good, I just lost my baby girl.

But of course my mental battle with guilt stayed in my head as I just thanked her and moved onto talking about something else. I tried not to think too much about it, but it bothers part of me. I have an idea that my facade it becoming so believable that most people think I am past it. It bothers me, but I really can't say that I would rather be miserable company just to make sure everyone knows that I do indeed shed tears still, miss her and get angry.

That's just part of this grief journey, I guess. If I "look good" it's because I am faking it until I make it. That's what my pastor's wife always says fake it 'til you make it. I can't say I understand it completely, but it's definitely a survival mechanism that has come in handy when all else has failed.

******************************************

My lovely niece, whom I have mentioned at least once before melted my heart. Of course Ms. Sunshine would never know how she did it. She is about four years old and a lovely mix of crazy, gorgeous and mischief. Anway... she lost one of her red socks (the ones that matched her Christmas outfit) and I offered to help her put on the one she had. We looked for the other one and then decided to just get another pair. We came out of her bedroom and sat on the floor in the dining room.

She is stretching her feet out, just smiling as big as she can. She draws a serious look and says, "Where's your baby?" I reached for my belly, as I used to do when I was still carrying my Jenna when this question was posed. My heart sank. This baby is not Jenna. I didn't say anything.

We had already had this conversation with her and her brother about a month after Jenna passed. When I told them that Jenna was in Heaven they had about a thousand "why" questions that followed. I loved answering most of them :)

But this incident struck me. She hadn't ever met Jenna, and probably hadn't heard anything about Jenna in at least six months. And my SIL (her mother) verified that Ms. Sunshine knew nothing about this new baby on the way.

It stung a little, maybe a lot. But more than that it thrilled my heart to have someone even for a split second think about her and ask about her. It's like she noticed the empty gap that only Jenna was meant to fill. It still makes me smile. I shared it with a few other people but I don't think they get just how special it was to me. That's okay. I will take the blessing and relish in the goodness of God. He knew I needed that.

Aside from that beautiful moment, I really enjoyed being around my family. My husband and I gave our grandmothers framed B&W pictures of Jenna and we gave framed prints of Jenna's Hope Collage to our parents. They loved their gifts. And I love that I can give them these gifts and include Jenna in our Christmas this year.






13 comments:

Caroline said...

Wow that is so neat to have someone remember. When I had my first miscarriage and my oldest Ridge was 6. He remembers and then it was a brother for him , I lost and somedays just random Ridge will say I wonder what my brother is doing today. It always makes me feel good that he remembers him. Glad you had a good time with family. A great blessing I must say.
{{HUGS}} and Prayers
Caroline

Mattie said...

What a wonderful, special moment for you. It feels good that someone remembers and how special it is coming from an innocent child with no agenda or preconcieved notions. I hope you continue to have a blessed Christmas season!

Anonymous said...

Oh what a wonderful blessing having your neice ask about Jenna. It is usually the little ones that remember in my family too. Every time I am around my neice she tells me how she wants to see my baby and she wants to hold my baby. It always melts my heart and makes me smile to know someone is thinking about her other than me. I am so glad that God sent you that blessing. All I can think is HOW SPECIAL!

Anonymous said...

That is so beautiful that your niece remembered. Children can be such a blessing. It is amazing how God can use them to be the lift that we need. *hugs*

Tina said...

I totally get it Franchesca!! I too fell like if I look okay people willthink I'm over it. But I don't want to be sad and mopey, it is hard to find a balance I guess. My nephew asked about my girls a few weeks ago, he is 8 and understnads I tink, but he still asked...It was odd but refreshing to know that they do think of my babies. xx

Heather said...

I understand. It is hard because now I am at the point where everyone else has moved on. People are no longer telling me how sorry they are, sending cards, or asking how I'm doing. Instead, I suffer alone, and I usually suffer silently. I feel like people do think I'm over it, when I never will be.

I'm glad you made it through this week-end. We also had a Christmas week-end. It definitely is not easy.

Andrea said...

You are not alone on the "fake it till you make it" scene, as I'm right there by your side. I too put on the facade...what elese is a girl to do?

So bittersweet the question posed by your young neice. Tears, as I can't imagine the emotions that ran through your soul, yet you made something beautiful of it.

And, beautiful that you were able to embrace a 7 month old child...all while loving an angel. Sending you love and hugs as you continue to navigate this journey.

Many hugs,
Andrea

Holly said...

Leave it to a child to be the one to mention her. They have such wonderful hearts, don't they? :)

I'm glad to hear of your survival of the day and that overall it went pretty well and that enjoyed being around everyone.

Jill said...

What a special moment!

Glad to hear you survived and made it through. It must have been difficult. I like what your pastor's wife said about faking it 'til you make it.

Wendy said...

Out of the mouth of children! Although I know it took you by surprise, I know it was a special moment for you! Anytime someone mentions Bryson, I gleam. Just to know someone remembers him, someone took the time to mention him. I'm so thankful God blessed you with that special conversation!

Jess said...

That's so sweet that your niece remembered Jenna. I know that was so good to hear, and helped make the gathering just a little more bearable. I'm so glad you made it through!

Malory said...

I watch my niece everyday & I know how those questions can sting & feel good at the same time. Its a hard feeling to explain. I love that you gave ou those photos.

Once A Mother said...

i can totally relate to what you write about faking it till you make it, or just having to fake it in general. i am so proud of you, for surviving.

Jenna's Name Slideshow

Thank you so much for emailing me pictures of my Jenna's name. It means so much that you took time to remember my Jenna with me. XO