10.06.2009

A Secret


I don't know about you...

but I struggle with the thought that God has a plan. I struggle with telling myself that God knows best. I struggle with the fact that God could have saved Jenna and He didn't. My faith has been dismantled, torn apart, scrupulously analyzed, turned upside down, chiseled, wounded, interrogated, and left desolate to tell whether or not it would survive the past five months.

My faith has changed. 

My faith in the God who could have saved her has come to find out something about Him I never knew. It's one of those secrets of God that can only be manifested in the deepest, darkest pits of absolute pain. To be honest, it's one of those secrets I wish I knew nothing about. But since grief has redefined my life, it is a secret I have come to cherish.



I have heard all my life that Jesus Christ died for my sins and how He bore my sins on the cross so that I could have a way to go to Heaven when I died. One day, I accepted Him as my Savior, believing that He did indeed die and carried my sins to that cross and paid the debt I could never pay.


What I didn't know was that on that cross, he also bore my griefs. The Bible says He is "a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief". Acquainted with grief? I have read those words before, but this time those words just flew off the page because that's me! I know grief more than I ever wanted to know it or be acquainted with it. It is deeper and far more hopeless than I ever could have imagined. Grieving a child is what we often say to be the harshest form of grief. I would have to agree. I didn't just bury my baby; I buried a toddler who would never take her first bite, lose a tooth, need a Barbie band-aid or take her first steps. I buried a girl who would never paint her fingernails or wear her Sunday best on Easter to church, I buried a young lady who would never go off to college or fall in love and get married. I buried a woman who would never have children or grandchildren. I buried everything she could have been. I buried my heart and love in the purest form. 


But Christ... He bore my griefs. It comforts me to read that He didn't just heal the sick and raise the dead. He knows my griefs. He knows. He is not just about the happy endings, He is familiar with the sad ones too. He acquainted Himself with this grief so that He could comfort my broken heart one day.



In that same verse, the Bible says that He also "carried our sorrows". The sorrow of those last moments of her life flashing through my head. The sorrow of knowing I will never get to use her beautiful name. The sorrow of knowing that life itself fled my baby girl's body. The sorrow of knowing the doctors did all they could to save her life. The sorrow of knowing that she is gone. The sorrow of the loss that empty arms can never satisfy. The sorrow of the memory of the pain her tiny body went through. The sorrow of the reality of her death at the grave. He carried all these sorrows with Him. 

A lot of people IRL will tell me they are sorry for what happened, and that is really all they can say. Let me just say that I am grateful for their sincere sympathy and understand their loss of words. But Christ actually carried my sorrow. He didn't just tell me He was sorry it happened, He carried this pain and sorrow because He knew one day I would need someone who feels the exact pain that I feel. So when I take my broken heart to Him, He knows all about it. 


And what's even more baffling to me is that He bore all my griefs and carried my sorrows way before they even happened. To think that He carried mine plus the entire world's grief and sorrow just helps me.

When someone shared these verses with me, it was like a light bulb turned on. These are familiar verses but they bring new light in this dark place of grief. 


"He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not. Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted."

Isaiah 53:3, 4







15 comments:

Karen said...

Very eloquently written, Franchesca. "I buried everything she could have been" is so beautiful and so true. (((Hugs)))

Holly said...

I think that's what makes the death of a children so much harder...because along with burying their body all the hopes and dreams for them are buried too. I am glad that Jesus knows our grief and carries our sorrows. It's easy to forget He knows exactly what we are going through.

Christy said...

I have really struggled with my faith, too. I don't know what I think/feel sometimes. Believing that god was there to receive Chase has helped me. Not that he took him away. But I still don't get it. I don't understand it.

But I'm glad that you do. You seem to have so much beauty and grace when you write of it, it has givenyou great comfort. I'm happy you have this. Wish you never knew it like this, though...
((hugs))
Christy

amy said...

LOVE&PRAYERS MY DEAR FRIEND.

Danielle said...

That's wonderful! How comforting to know our savior knows what to do with our broken, mangled hearts. Thanks for sharing this post.

Caroline said...

What a great post & Prayers & {{HUGS}} my friend. Thinking of you always.
Caroline

Trevor's Mama said...

(((HUGS))) I so needed to read this post today. I, too, lost my faith recently. Because I keep thinking, if God is always in control, why take a baby? An innocent, beautiful baby full of life and potential. I also LOVE how you indicated that you didn't just lose a baby; you have lost an entire life that your little girl could have (and should have) had. My heart goes out to you today...and thanks for posting your honest thoughts.

Jen said...

I love that you posted this.. this has been weighing very heavy on my heart lately.. and then I think "I CANNOT doubt him".. he is the only hope I have..I told a friend recently that when I buried my almost 9 month old, I buried my should be toddler, kindergartner, etc etc.. everything she should have been.. we grieve for those too.. not just what we lost.. hugs to you and as always thank you so much for your honest and sincere posts..

Jess said...

Beautiful, Franchesca! I just love this post. The truth of those verses in Isaiah is so precious, that Jesus Christ truly did bear our grief and sorrow. I know He really does ache along with us, and plans to bring us joy in our suffering. Thank you for sharing your honest and heartfelt thoughts.

Once A Mother said...

what an absolutely beautiful post. your faith through this loss, as i have told you before, inspires me to remain open to my relationship with Him through the anger at losing my child. One line struck me especially, when you said, "The sorrow of knowing I will never get to use her beautiful name." and while I know where you are coming from with this, please know how often her name IS used, and remembered, and lifted in prayer. Missing your sweet baby girl Jenna Belle with you. She is not forgotten.

Random Wiggles said...

Thank you....Thank you for writing what so many of us feel. I wish I had you faith and courage, I covet your faithful understanding. It is coming up on three years since my baby girl died and I am still struggling with my faith. Although I have found that as each day passes my yearning for heaven and lost time with my daughter grows. Yet I know I am not done with this world yet.

The Blue Sparrow said...

You are such a great writer, I love this post and I so needed to hear this! Thinking of you and Jenna Belle

R said...

My faith has changed so much since our son died. In some ways it's been a struggle but there are ways in which my faith has grown and like you I've understood things that I never gave a second thought to before. Thank you for sharing this verse- your post speaks such truth.

Jennifer {Studio JRU} said...

Such a beautiful post! Sharing your heart like you do, can't be easy. We lost my baby sister when I was a young. Reading your words here, has given me a look at that time through my mother's eyes, through my mother's heart. Thank you!

Heather said...

What a beautiful post. I have had those same struggles with my own faith - why didn't God save my baby girl? People all over the world were praying. So why? Why couldn't she have been a story of hope to those in similar situations of God's ability to heal? Instead, there are people who started following my story while I was pregnant who have been given the same prognosis, and as they near their own deliveries, they must think of my story with terrible fear of their own outcome. So my faith has suffered greatly.

I also know the feeling of not only burying my only child, but burying all the hopes I had for her. So many hopes and dreams that now will only live in my imagination...

Thank you for posting this. My faith has been shaken deeply, and this post helps. My hope is that I can learn to find God in all of this and, as you so beautifully have, learn to incorporate His goodness into my own blog so that others may find Him in their pain.

Jenna's Name Slideshow

Thank you so much for emailing me pictures of my Jenna's name. It means so much that you took time to remember my Jenna with me. XO