11.06.2009

Secret Garden Meeting - October


The Secret Garden is a place that is only open for bereaved parents. It is our garden, our secret place to come to. A place to remember our children with those who understand us. It is a place to just be, without worry or fear of not being accepted. May you feel safe to share your hearts here in the garden.


So this meeting we would like to talk about where you are. Where are you at in your grief. Has it been years or just weeks since you lost your baby. How are you feeling. How do you hope you will feel in the future. Have you found any peace at all?



This grief no doubt has many unexpected turns and twists. The longer I'm on this journey to hopefully healing, the more I realize the permanence of this loss. More than anger and frustration, I am being swallowed up in sadness. The guilt has been left behind for the most part, along with being angry at God or anybody else. It's just sadness right now. But I'm not even a crying mess, like I was a few weeks ago. The sadness creeps in while I'm teaching, driving, working, in conversation with someone, cleaning, sleeping, dreaming, anything really. It's always there in the back of my head, and it is the burden that weighs me down. I get to wondering if it will always be this way? 

I am in some twisted way learning to accept this fate. She's in Heaven, me still here, but even in acceptance the loss is wearisome. The sadness is derived mostly from how far time has taken me away from her life, and those moments I got to know her. Lately, it's not so much over the things I missed out on with her. Don't get me wrong, those things make me sad when I get reminded, but that's a bottomless pit of disaster every time I go there. Because there is no end to what I missed out on had I had the chance to raise her.



So this is me. Sad. Sad. Sad. Along with this sadness, there is a burning desire to cherish those moments I had with her. Even in the pregnancy, after hearing all the bad news, I still enjoyed her so much. I never let myself stay sad when I was carrying her, or watching her in the NICU. Maybe I am making up for it now? Who knows... I feel that there are never enough ways to honor her life. I strive to honor her life through mine, living in the moment, and loving life. 


I'm crazy excited about getting to start her memory garden in a few weeks. And by next summer I will be able to crack open my paints again! I want to be free again to remember my daughter and not be constrained by sadness. My loss was her gain, and I want to live like it.



So, have I found peace? Yes. I really have. The peace is ever present as I keep my eyes fixed on the One who can heal me completely one day.


11 comments:

Marie W said...

Such a beautiful post. Isn't it wonderful to know he can give us peace? And not just peace, but peace that passes all understanding.

Jill said...

Beautiful post! I started a memory garden at my house for my angels, but it is too cold to finish now. I will have to wait till Spring and I am excited to finish it. Maybe I will post some pictures of what I have so far.

I love how you said your loss was her gain and you want to live like it. Thank you for sharing.

Jess said...

"I feel that there are never enough ways to honor her life. I strive to honor her life through mine, living in the moment, and loving life."
I know what you mean, there are so many more things I still want to do to honor Eliana's life. To love life like you said, to allow joy to creep back into our lives, is another way to honor our sweet little ones; to allow ourselves to be changed for the better just for having known them.

Jeanette said...

Franchesca, you have a beautifully uplifting attitude despite the deep sadness, that is a wonderful way to honour your Jenna's life.

Kristalee said...

Thankyou for sharing that. So much of what you said resonated with me.
I am happy that you have found peace with all of this, it gives me hope that I will too.

Lianne said...

You seem like you are on the right path to healing this difficult loss. I really don't think I will ever overcome the leap of sadness. I totally agree with you on that one, grief will always sneak up on us.

Take care and God bless.

<3, Lianne

Christmas with Kasey said...

I can't wait to see her garden! I agree with you the longer the journey the more of a reality or permanent it is. You are so positive and I think that is important.

Once A Mother said...

Thank you Fran for sharing with us. Your words and sentiments are just beautiful. I can't wait to see pics of her garden.

Laura said...

Thinking of you and so proud of your journey. I remember being so lost in sadness but in time that was replaced- not that I don't get sad still at times but that peace will begin to flow- God's grace is so very healing as I know you know. I wish I could give you a hug! You are an amazing mother!!!
<3

Holly said...

I feel there are never enough ways to honor Carleigh's life too. I am always looking for new ways to do that.

Anonymous said...

Peace is part of the healing process. *hugs*

Jenna's Name Slideshow

Thank you so much for emailing me pictures of my Jenna's name. It means so much that you took time to remember my Jenna with me. XO