7.23.2009

Walking with you, Grace for the Journey - The Sea of Grief

I have joined a group called Walking With You, Grace for the Journey, a support group for bereaved parents through a wonderful blog called The Beauty of Sufficient Grace (http://sufficientgrace-kelly.blogspot.com/2009/07/walking-with-you-sea-of-grief.html). In our discussion this week we are sharing the first steps in the sea of grief.

This is my journey through grief so far. I have not quite finished the first steps. My daughter went to be with the Lord a little over two months ago after 13 days here with us. The days following her death date, it was not real. I was in an intense shock from the weight of my loss. I kept wanting to go back to the hospital (where she lived in the NICU). Somehow the place I got to know her is the place that I attached with all the memories of her, naturally.

Mostly, I felt like a zombie. I look back now and think that was just grace being poured over my mind and spirit to keep me from completely losing it. I had many friends and family come to my side and offer tremendous support. When people started returning to the normal strut of life, it became real. Jenna was gone and not coming back. This was my grief journey. In spite of all the support, no one could carry this for me. I never doubted and still don't doubt that they care, but it just made the loss that much more real.

I also stayed (still staying) in the Psalms. I would read and read and read. The Psalms were never more precious. It wouldn't take much for me to be a mess, crying just remembering her. Thinking of all the what-ifs, could-have-beens, and on it goes. I was tempted to be mad at God, but I felt so guilty when that feeling arose. How could I possibly be mad at God, who gives and takes away? He does not owe me anything. At least I got to know her for 13 days. Even that thought did not take the hurt away though.

So the further I go in this journey, the less I want to talk about how I am doing. Truth be told, I feel completely guilty for being sad all the time, as if it is imposing on everyday life for others around me. But something tells me I needn't apologize for the way this grief is taking a toll on me. I am surviving. I am not thankful yet for the journey I hardly understand, but I am very aware that God's grace has been more present than ever. I am thankful for God's grace. Someone prayed that she would be born on 5-5-2009. And by one minute, she was. At 12:01 a.m. They also told me that five is the number of grace. I'd never heard that before, but that was pretty neat to me. She was our grace baby.

The Psalms have given me exceptional comfort. David lost a baby, too. He knew the pain and could still say God is good. He could still praise Him. That encourages me.

Psalms 90:5 " Thou carriest them away as with a flood; they are as a sleep: in the morning they are like grass which groweth up."

Morning is coming one day. I will get to see her grow up one day. And since time is irrelevant to God in Heaven, I have not missed one moment of her life. Not even a second. That rejoices my heart.

6 comments:

Lisa said...

My heart feels your pain, remember the first days of grief its so hard. I am praying for you, continue to cling to the Lord.

Holly said...

"I have not missed one moment of her life" How very true that is and thank you for mentioning that. Sadness, anger, fear, guilt....normal feelings with grief. Everyone feels them in different stages and time. I am glad that God's grace is near to you.

Jennifer Ross said...

"In spite of all the support, no one could carry this for me." That statement is so true. The grief can become so strong, the only "one" who can help, is God. Your daughter is very beautiful. Thank you for sharing your heart. God Bless.

Love,
Jenny

Kelly @ Sufficient Grace Ministries said...

Franchesca,

I'm so glad you joined us to share about your sweet Jenna Belle. This was a great post...so heartfelt and true. God's grace really is the only thing that can cover us and carry us through these valleys of sorrow. He alone is able to bring that kind of comfort. But...He is able. I'm so glad you know that. The Psalms are a wonderful source of comfort. Praying God's continued comfort and sufficient grace for you and your family...

In His Grace,
Kelly

Caroline said...

What a great post & one day you will be together again. Prayers & HUGS . Thanx for the nice comment on my blog.
Caroline

amy said...

As i sit here writting this to you i remember our conversations of what we tink Jenna is doing in heaven..I asked somone if she will be a baby still when u get there,they said yes.She will wait for you to get there.that gave me a feeling of peace for you.You are right you wont miss a thing!So now when i look into the sky&think of her playing with the clouds I know shes still gonna be doing the same thing when we get there.We won't miss a thing!!I love you sooo much Fran&am alway praying for you to have grace&strength.

Jenna's Name Slideshow

Thank you so much for emailing me pictures of my Jenna's name. It means so much that you took time to remember my Jenna with me. XO