3.12.2010

Reminiscing

I was driving today and like usual that's when I do most of my thinking... you know the thinking that winds up in a teary mess. I have dreaded this month altogether and just have not put it into words yet, until now.  I wish I could remember the exact date, but I am almost positive it was early March that we went in for a 20 week u/s. You may have already read all the details that ensued on Jenna's Story page, so I don't mean to repeat myself. But it's been a YEAR. A WHOLE YEAR.

I remember we had normal married life going on. School for me, tons of work for my husband. We were still figuring out marriage. We had no idea what awaited us the next morning. I thought just another doctor's appointment. We were hoping for a girl, but would soon find out much much more than the gender.

A YEAR.

I remember it like yesterday. We got to my regular OB's office. Within minutes, I had my u/s. The u/s (second one in my whole life) took long... 20 minutes or so. I thought it was no big deal. I remember the tech measuring and measuring and measuring some more. I sensed something was wrong but I would not realize it until much later. I tried to lighten the mood I thought I was imagining by commenting on the baby's silhouette and the baby's head which seemed to be larger than the rest of her body. I just thought it was normal baby development...

The tech didn't respond.

She asked if we wanted to know the sex of the baby and asked us what we thought the baby was. I told her my husband had dreamed of a little girl the night before, and added that we both thought the baby was a girl. With both grandmothers in the room, the news was confirmed.

There is a blur here...

I remember having a checkup and the grandmothers left at that point. I remember us somehow ending up in the doctor's study. I remember thinking to myself, this can't be good. I remember crying because she was telling us that our baby's measurements were not what they should be. I also remember thinking I am overreacting, of course my baby will be okay.

I remember the doc being extremely cold as she broke the devastating news. I don't think she was used to dealing with high-risk patients, she sure didn't act like it. Her staff squeezed us into a high-risk clinic where I would end up transferring my care.

I was the last patient seen that day by a very overworked and caring perinatologist. She whisked us into that u/s room after hours of waiting. After what seemed like a lifetime of measuring our baby girl, she told us bluntly that we had a sick baby. Sick baby? Me? Why? How did this happen? This has never happened in either of our families! All I remember is a million thoughts rushing through my head, but none of them being a funeral. I never thought I would lose my baby girl. I just didn't think it was possible. Even after two confirmations of what seemed like a serious diagnosis.

After the u/s she gave us the option of an amnio. I didn't know what to do. I called my pastor's wife, panicked. Convinced that an amnio would not help the baby's condition, even though it was fatal, we declined; a decision I do not regret. After declining the amnio we were seen by a genetic counselor.  My eyes were blotchy and red with mascara running down my face. They led us down what seemed like a secret hallway where I didn't have to pass by other preggo women. I haven't forgotten that gesture. I am still grateful for that hallway. Before Jenna would be born, we would see another genetic counselor. Official waste of time.

A year ago we climbed wearily back into our vehicle. Neither of us could quite wrap our minds around the devastating news. One by one, family members and friends were called. The family members and friends, who hours prior, had just been texting us "Boy or girl?"

Within 11 weeks I would have a dead baby and a gravesite to visit. Life can change that quickly.

I wonder sometimes why I didn't fantasize about bringing a baby girl home. I don't remember talking about how much life will change, because I guess at that point we just didn't know anything. It makes me sad that I didn't anticipate more. I did plan for her, I did talk about her, I did hope for her. I DID until the end, and never entertained her dying, even when my doctor bluntly told me I could lose this baby, but I just don't remember anticipating being her mother more...

Maybe I knew in my heart of hearts. She was something extraordinary and special. Not of this world.

23 comments:

Caroline said...

Sending you some {{HUGS}} and always in my prayers.
Caroline

Monica said...

I have the same flash backs and they usually also happen while I'm driving or while I'm taking a shower. Something about driving must just trigger that part of the brain. Big hugs and prayers going up for you.

Monica said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Catherine W said...

Oh Franchesca. Life can change so quickly. I still feel in shock that my own changed so rapidly, one minute I was pottering along as normal, the next everything had changed.

Your little Jenna was extraordinary. xo

Anonymous said...

*hugs* certain events and certain days on the calendar will be forever imprinted on your mind. Thinking of you and Jenna Belle.

Mattie said...

Thinking of you and Jenna Belle. We are starting our "one year ago" memories as well.

(((BIG hugs)))

Unknown said...

I am so sorry that you are having such a rough time. I think everything you did was done to cope with what you were going through. You are an amazing person and mother. I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!

(((HUGS)))

Christy said...

We are on our "one year" memories, too, and like you I'm starting to blur on the exact dates of certain things and the order in which they happened. It's crazy how something can feel like yesterday and a million years ago all at the same time.
Your story breaks my heart :( I just want you to know that I am here, reading, thinking of you and your beautiful Jenna Belle, and sending you hugs and prayers.
Love to you.

Michelle said...

I have said the same thing about how in my heart of hearts maybe I knew... I would sit and try to imagine bringing a baby home but I was never able to wrap my mind around it. I'm glad you had such a hallway to walk down too. The clinics I went to had no such gesture- it's the little things like that mean so much.
((( hugs)))

Mother Knows Best Reviews said...

Oh, thinking of sweet Jenna. I am so sorry, and yet so moved by such a wonderful tribute.

Maggie said...

Sometimes I wonder if I wanted it enough. I was so naive and now I know how much I really did want it, but it took losing my baby to make me realize that. Thinking of you so much and sending you lots of love. XO

Mary said...

Why is it that people trained in this field don't seem much more compassionate than others? I guess at the heart of it we are all uncomfortable with babies dying.

Was Jenna ever diagnosed with something specific?

belle said...

that was absolutely beautifully written! how tender..... you are a blessing.

Jen said...

Fran~
This post just gave me goose bumps and made me so tearful..for your loss,and the fact that I felt similar to you at one time..I did bring Ella home, but I never could imagine her growing into a toddler or older..which I had done with my son.. I've never said that to anyone, written or out loud.. hugs.praying for you and that sweet boy! :)

Jill said...

I am sitting here reading with tears streaming down my face. My heart breaks for you and so many of us. I too wonder, "how did this all happen." I always knew life can change quickly, I just never knew it would be my life and in this way. I wish Jenna was here with you. I like how you said she was something extraordinary and special. Not of this world.

Lori said...

Oh, does this strike such chords, with a different scenario, of course.

The underlying theme: "How does this happen? How can your whole ENTIRE world change so dramatically in the blink of an eye?" just resonates...
My heart hurts for you and she was beyond extraordinary...she was exuisite.
xoxo

Courtney said...

Oh honey, I am so incredibly sorry. Sorry that this happened to you, sorry that your precious Jenna is not here with you. I wish I could bring her back.

Thinking of all of you!

*hugs*

Once A Mother said...

I am so sorry that you had to endure so much pain during your pregnancy with hearing that devastating news. Its not fair. I am thinking of you, your hubs, and of course your sweet Jenna Bell. I wish I could give you a hug.
xx

With Out My Punkin said...

((hugs)) I had very similar experiences in the peri office as you did, something I will never forget and yes I agree genetic councilors are a waste of time. Thinking of you and your sweet Jenna Belle.

Lisette said...

I have most of my moments while driving too. This month also starts many of my firsts. I am so sorry that you had to go through so much pain. It is amazing how quickly your life can change. It isn't fair and it sucks. Thinking of you and your sweet Jenna Belle.

Anonymous said...

Why is it that grief seems to hit us in the car so often? Same here... the biggest weeping messes I created while driving. Will be thinking of you today and lighting Skys candle for Jenna tonight. Sorry she can't be with you...

AmberLCook said...

Your story brings back so many memories of THAT day for me. It was heart wrenching, unbearable, and a blur. You worded it all so well. I pray you begin walking in peace that surpasses your understanding. I am so sorry for your loss. I cannot imagine losing my first born that way. I pray God blesses you again when you are ready with a healthy baby girl.

Holly said...

Sending you a hug, Franchesca. It can be hard to remember those days.

Jenna's Name Slideshow

Thank you so much for emailing me pictures of my Jenna's name. It means so much that you took time to remember my Jenna with me. XO