3.31.2010

funeral flashback

This won't be a very uplifting post, I've been kind of in a slump lately (you may have noticed by my last post)...

I went to a funeral the other day and it wasn't for another baby. And it wasn't my first funeral to attend since Jenna died. But it was the hardest one yet. And I wonder why...

There wasn't anything in particular that reminded me of her funeral (other than the same church). It was just HARD. It brought it all back. The tiniest casket I ever laid eyes on. The color of the casket... the generosity of so many people, including strangers, that sent tons of flower arrangements. All the gerbers... {should be happy flowers}...  the music, the doves, sitting a few feet away from my dead daughter's casket during the service-

I remember standing there, feeling like I was being held by Someone because my knees were too weak to stand. People made their way before the service started to give their condolences and I don't remember a word anybody said to me. I don't know if it was shock, or the perfect peace of God that was holding me together, maybe a combination of both. I told the person standing next to me who'd also lost a baby that it didn't feel real. That is the only conversation I remember from the funeral.

I honestly don't know if I can survive another funeral. Maybe it's because now the fog has lifted, the air is clear and reality has slapped me in the face. I get it, she's not coming back, there is no Jenna Belle Cox at Texas Children's Hospital anymore. Bed 25 is occupied by some other preemie infant, hopefully much better off than my Jenna was. Death is real. At least in my world it is.

I am literally throwing myself into my studio these days... it's been a really nice distraction. It allows me to at least for a while numb the pain and refocus my energy...

-and try to remember my Jenna without the painful memories.

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Franchesca I am truly sorry you are going through this. You are such an amazing person and you don't deserve to be feeling this pain. I am so glad that you are at least doing something to channel it all.

I can't wait to see your work with the letter art or word art (whatever you call it.) I know you are going to do an amazing job. Keep going!

((HUGS))

Jen said...

Oh, the memories can just stab us straight in the heart, can't they? I'm sorry ((HUGS))

I feel the same way about Lily's memorial service (we had Lily cremated)...although, I haven't been to a funeral or a memorial service since Lily's because I know that I am way too weak...

Jen said...

I am sorry..It is so hard when it all becomes "real" We had Ella's funeral at our church and now and then in service, I glance at the front row and can see myself right next to her tiny casket.. ((hugs))

Lisette said...

Those memories are so haunting. I still remember Sami's service so vividly, it's amazing how we manage to go through that. I really believe God is there holding us up during that time because I know it was the most difficult thing I ever had to endure.
I wish no one of us had to go through that. I am sorry...
Death for me is something else especially with Marie passing suddenly, it is too much to handle at times and I get mad because I don't know why. I know one day I will see them again in heaven but what about now? It is just so hard.

I am glad that you have been working on your projects, I think that is a great idea. You are so creative, I admire that so much. You are an amazing woman! ((HUGS))

Elizabeth said...

*hugs*

Mary said...

I could have written this post Franchesca! I went to a funeral on Wed. at the same church and had all those same feelings. Death will never feel the same to me, it will always be real, never far away, and way too personal. I wish I could give you a hug...

Mother Knows Best Reviews said...

I just don't even have words for you - I am so sorry. I have the same thoughts when I look at Maddie's tiny little urn, so very small. I'm thinking of you.

Lori said...

Oh gosh...my heart just hurts so much for yours right now. Like someone above said, our service for Matthew was at our church and there has not been a single Sunday that I don't think of the funeral...remember the casket where the flowers are...picture myself in the front pew.
It's just so hard and I am sorrry your heart hurts so much.
Lifting you up, friend!
xoxo

Maggie said...

(((HUGS))) to you!

carissa said...

my heart is breaking for you. i can't even begin to imagine what it would be like to look at my baby in a casket. you've been through so much. may the Lord grant you peach and comfort in the midst of your mourning. i wish i could give you a great big hug and cry with you.

carissa said...

peace* not peach. oops.

Melissa said...

When I get flashbacks (all the time) it seems like I am right back there, I feel a little closer to both my baby and the pain.

I think I am going to a funeral next weekend and I am already upset about it.

Hugs!

Courtney said...

I haven't been to a funeral since the boys. However I flashback to it often. I was the same way, in a complete fog and don't remember anything other than almost falling to my knees screaming for my boys.

For some reason I have been in such a funk as well.

*hugs* thinking of you and your precious Jenna.

Jess said...

I'm sorry things are so hard right now, Franchesca. I can see why going to that funeral would be so difficult. I haven't been to another one yet, but I think it makes sense that as more time has passed and reality has set in, it would hit you harder. I wish you didn't have to know this pain, but it's wonderful that through youre' art and creativity you're doing something so positive and so special through your sorrow.
Prayers and Big Hugs!!

belle said...

(((hugs)))

i wish i could find the staples easy button that fixes this :((((

i am so, so ,so sorry that you know this pain,

Holly said...

I can't say much about funerals b/c I haven't been to one since Carleigh's but I imagine that it can be difficult.

Jenna's Name Slideshow

Thank you so much for emailing me pictures of my Jenna's name. It means so much that you took time to remember my Jenna with me. XO