1.05.2010

January Means...

Jenna's been in Heaven for 8 months. My day started out with me waking up and suddenly becoming aware that I hadn't heard from my husband while on his usual break. He is pretty consistent about phoning me so naturally I tried calling him. Once... no answer... ten minutes later... no answer... thirty minutes later... still no answer. Even if he is too busy to answer he always texts me to let me know he got my call. For thirty to forty minutes I was completely freaking myself out, convinced that something had happened on his way to work. I kept thinking I can't lose him too. He finally called and all I could do was cry me eyes out of how I had reverted to a child's state of dependency. I find myself constantly menacing my own mind with thoughts of what if something really did happen this time? 

Anyway, after I got off the phone with him, I was driving by this time, and looked up and there was a light pink balloon floating up to Heaven. My Jenna. That's all I could think of. My Jenna and how much I miss her. I literally feel empty. But the pink balloon (of which I wish I had a picture) was all alone, and put there for me. It's like she was saying, just be happy Mommy, I am right here. 

Be happy...


Well since New Year's Eve I had been looking forward to today. Yes, actually looking forward to it. My Jenna would have been eight months. I cannot even imagine her at eight months. All I can see is my perfect baby girl at infancy, preemie infancy, yet perfect. I feel so guilty that I cannot envision her at her "should-be" age.

It is what it is. I have high doubts that she is growing at the rate we do down here in Heaven anyway.

Back to my story... my husband helped out his brother with a firecracker stand and I made a cake for them. When I brought it up to the stand, I ended up staying awhile. He asked me if there was anything from the stand I wanted before he left that night.

"No"... not really in the celebrating mood is what I thought.

He picked up some giant sparklers (which just happen to be partly fuchsia) "What about for Jenna?"

Of course it melted my heart. "What do you mean?"

"We can light them for her."

"Yes!" I was excited to think of including her on this New Year's festivities. I imagined lighting them with family and telling them it was in remembrance of Jenna. My husband had different ideas...

So today, we took the giant, partly fuchsia sparklers over to her grave.

And yes, we really lit them on her grave! It was so much fun. I don't think I've ever had this much "fun" while visiting her.

 
 
 

Now I know this is probably highly dangerous and we probably broke all sorts of laws...


but it was so much FUN!!! I think Jenna liked her sparklers.

Happy 8 months, my Jenna!

**************************************

I have been meaning to post about this. I am terrible. Marie from My Expected End and Jill from Footprints on Our Hearts passed this award to me.



 Thank you ladies, you are so sweet. The rules are to list 7 things about yourself and pass it onto seven more bloggers.

My 7 things...

1. I am realizing as I struggle to write this list that I am SUCH a different person. (You'd think I'd get that by now)
2. I majored in something I LOVE... teaching and art
3. I would love to learn several foreign languages one day, including Chinese and French
4. I'm a super neat freak. I love organization in all aspects of my life. Classroom, kitchen, drawers... you name it. Even my junk drawer is compartmentalized.
5. The only place I feel like I can unravel and be myself is my home, so thank God for my house!
6. I love saturated colors, they make the world more interesting.
7. I stay away from watching the news because it is usually depressing and negative. I feel that I am a coward of sorts and also setting myself up for disaster by not staying in tune with world events. I have slowly started to read the headlines online... I know this one's weird but true.

Now for seven beautiful bloggers...

Caroline from The Croley Gang... She is such a true blessing and always has a kind word to say. Even when I write those gloom and doom posts, she is just there.

Beth from Safe in This House... It has been a blessing getting to know Beth. She has been a wonderful support for me on my blog and just being a real friend. She grieves openly and honestly and manages to hold onto faith through it all. She also does a beautiful job at honoring her daughter, Kathlyn. I have learned from her to look for signs from our babies even more than I used to.

Kristin from Once a Mother... I have enjoyed becoming acquainted with Kristin and her beautiful daughter Peyton. Kristin also writes from the depth of her heart. Her poetry seeps from a broken heart, I don't think I have ever read poetry so raw and beautiful and meaningful at the same time. My words are not doing her poetry justice, but if you have ever read her work, you would know what I mean. She is also a survivor of heartache after unimaginable heartache.

Michelle from Faith, hope and loving Audrey... I recently found Michelle's blog and have truly been blessed by her and her daughter's story. In her blog, her faith is ever present in the face of grief.

AKD from Little Footprints... She always always has something encouraging to say when she comments and is such a support for me.

Sarah from Loving Henry... I recently started following her blog as well. Sarah is a sweetheart and is a blessing on her blog.

Karen from Busy Hands... I have been following Karen's blog for a few months now and always enjoy reading her blog because she incorporates real life into her posts. It is easy to picture what she is writing about, whether it is her wonderful, supportive co-workers from the job she works overnight or reminiscing her sweet George.

If you are still reading, I am sorry this post is so long. I appreciate the award and would like to let every reader know I am honored and humbled by your support.




26 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy 8 months Jenna.

love the sparklers I think that is an awesome tribute.

congrats on the awards. I love reading your blog

MissingYouAlways said...

dont you love seeing little things like that that make you think of your baby?? everything beautiful I see, when I am down, I think of jordan and feel like he is trying to lift me up. jordan passed only a few months after your beautiful jenna. this is still so fresh for both of us. I admire your strength and have a gift of words

Anonymous said...

Happy 8 months Jenna!!

The sparklers are beautiful!!

Lauren said...

I don't care if you did break laws -- I think that was a beautiful thing to do!!! So glad you had a positive visit to Jenns's grave ... I love all the pink! Happy 8 months Jenna Belle!!

Mother Knows Best Reviews said...

The sparklers are such a lovely idea. Maddie was born on July 7, so I hope you don't mind - I may steal that idea for her birthday! What a special, amazing way to honor your beautiful Jenna!

I totally understand the panic about your husband. After Maddie's birth, I begged and pleaded my husband to go and get a physical until he finally relented, because I was (am) worried about losing him, too. I think it's natural, and it's a panic that is always going to be there to a degree - you get attacked by a tiger once, you're always on the lookout for another tiger!

You are so sweet - that award just made me smile!

Mattie said...

The sparklers were such a great idea and so beautiful. They always remind me of the joy and excitement of a child.

I understand the feelings you had when DH did not return your call. Mine works in law enforcement and I freak out much more than I used to.

I hope you have a great 2010!

Anonymous said...

The sparklers are a great idea!

I understand what you mean about the fear of losing your husband. My husband and I email back and forth throughout the day while at work, and if I go too long without hearing from him, I start worrying. I've even called a few times to make sure he was fine. Going through a loss makes us realize how fragile life really is...

Elizabeth said...

It seems that no matter how independant we are when we lose a child we suddednly feel dependant like a child. I never needed anyone before I lost my Connor but after wards I couldn't function without someone holding my hand. 2 years later I'm pretty much independant again but I was forced to be when Adam was arrested. It's hard being so dependant on others but I think it's normal to feel that way after such a loss.

I think its wonderful your husband thought to do sparklers for your baby. Very sweet! *hugs*

Elizabeth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Caroline said...

Happy 8 months Jenna. Wow that's cool sparklers I never thought of that. I love the idea.
Thanx for the award it made me smile. I'm happy that I met you online.
{{HUGS}} and Prayers always.
Caroline

R said...

I completely understand the worries about other people now. I get the same way when I can't reach my husband.

I love it when my husband comes up with different ways of remembering Levi- how sweet of yours to think of the sparklers for Jenna!

Lori said...

The sparklers are absolutely wonderful!!! I hate thinking of the cemetery as the place I dread to go because it reminds me of what I don't have anymore...I'm inspired to make it a place where I can honor Matthew and be happy for his life-I see sparklers happening in the future!

Holly said...

Congrats on your award! I think it is fabulous that you lit sparklers on her grave! I wish I would've thought of that! That's a good idea for 4th of July too! :)

Rachel said...

I LOVE the sparklers and I am sure Jenna did as well.

My last post should cheer you up... a little :)

Laura said...

I LOVE the sparklers! I know that Jenna and probably all of heaven was smiling with her! Thinking of you! I remember that first year- for me it was the 15th- every month- even now sometimes (six years later) on the 15th I will pause and think of that- that measurement- whether it feels long or short- it is so hard to measure- and yet that day with that number will come- and it will go-
thinking of you and wishing you peace!
(Also enjoyed the list- I wish I could be so organized! Your junk drawer even!!! WOW!)
Hugs-
L

Kelly @ Sufficient Grace Ministries said...

I love that you lit the sparklers for your sweet Jenna! So grateful for the gifts we get that remind us of our sweet babies...like that pink balloon sent just for you. Snowfalls with big fluffy snowflakes remind me of my sweet Faith and Grace...and certain worship songs remind me of my time with Thomas. Almost everything makes me think of my mama.

Anyway, I mainly stopped by to thank you for your comment on my "layers" post. Thank you for your encouraging words. And...I wanted to take some time to pray for you.

So, here I am...praying for you as you continue on this journey. Praying that you will daily know His comfort, peace, and grace for every step of this walk.

Just praying...

Courtney said...

I too think Jenna loved her sparklers. I think that is such a precious idea!

Malory said...

Great idea your hubby had!! I love it!

Beth said...

a pink balloon?! i would have loved to see that... jenna for sure!

thank you for nominating me.. you are too sweet :,)

Kristy said...

I love the sparklers, a beautiful way of sharing the new year with Jenna. Thinking of you...*hugs*

Catherine W said...

The sparklers are beautiful. What a lovely idea for your little Jenna.

I also do the whole 'freaking out when my husband doesn't ring' now too. I panic a lot more about accidents these days. xo

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love the sparklers! I bet little Jenna was squealing in delight! Bless your hearts!

I love reading details about my new friends here. Thank you for sharing and thank you for the nomination! I will crack on and do that soon!

Huge hugs coming your way!

Sarah xoxo

Karen said...

What a beautiful moment you've shared with us - the sparklers for Jenna Belle - eight months. Unreal, isn't it? Thinking of you and thanks for the note about my blog. I'm so glad I've met all of you through blogland, truly. The support and love is such a help on those dark, dark days. xo

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the sparklers! What a great idea and a special way to remember!

My daughter passed away 2 1/2 years ago after living for only 25 minutes. My husband's favorite holiday is the 4th of July (probably because his birthday is on the 6th and when he was younger, he thought that the fireworks were for him!) He was so sure Raegan's favorite holiday would have been the 4th as well. Every year when we get fireworks, we choose a special one to shoot for her. The cemetery where Raegan is buried has a huge field right beside of it. We shoot Raegan's firework off in that field! For me, it's like we're telling her that we remember that she's not here and we still want her to be a part of our celebration.

A

Jill said...

I love the sparklers! Sorry that your day started out with not being able to get a hold of your husband. I would have been in panic mode as well. I love that you saw a sign of Jenna. The pink balloon in the sky must have been put there for you.

Michelle said...

Franchesca, I am so glad to have met you (online). Thanks, for the nomination, you are so sweet.

I can realte to the fear of losing your husband..I have become more dependant on mine too. He travels for his job and I always imagine him dying in an accident.I call to check on him more often now.
I love the pink balloon story!

Jenna's Name Slideshow

Thank you so much for emailing me pictures of my Jenna's name. It means so much that you took time to remember my Jenna with me. XO