1.30.2010

Assurance

Right after Jenna died, I couldn't read anything in the Bible besides Psalms. I found so much comfort in that book for months and months. I took a trip back there today, which I stopped doing for some reason or another. It was refreshing.

Hear me when I call, O God of my righteousness: thou hast enlarged me when I was in distress; have mercy upon me, and hear my prayer...

But know that the LORD hath set apart him that is godly for himself: the LORD will hear when I call unto him. Stand in awe, and sin not: commune with your own heart upon your bed, and be still. Selah. 

Psalms 4: 1,3-4

Somehow this reminded me of something my pastor's wife told me right after Jenna died. She told me "We're going to make the Lord look good." She said it with gentleness, but firmly. It put a fire down inside of me to just make it, and not collapse under this grief. It also assured me that I was not surviving this tragedy by myself, but with my Savior at my side.

It's like I forget those small things that helped me.


But reading this today brought it back, and I am thankful.


The Lord didn't leave me when she died. He has and he will give me everything I need not just to survive but make it by his grace.

Even when it's hard to believe and when everything inside me feels desolate.



14 comments:

Liz said...

yes he will and he already has provided abundant grace to carry us through anything. Psalms have been so important to me also since Aquila died last month.
peace to you mama

Caroline said...

I enjoy reading the Psalms too , very comforting. God is always there to carry us through. Prayers and {{HUGS}}
Caroline

The Blue Sparrow said...

I too have found great comfort in Psalms. *HUGS*

ForeverElliot'sMommy said...

I am so glad you have found something for comfort, it is not easy with our situations. I just read Jenna's Care Pages and WOW, they could have been written for Elliot, that rollercoaster of good in bad in just a split second brought tons of memories rushing back. I only wish we could have all been at the hospital for one another!!
HUGS

Mary said...

I love the Psalms because it reminds me that God is big enough to take the truth. David felt weak, attacked, burdened, and he told God. And God could take it. And not only could he take it, He gave comfort in response to his authentic feelings.

So glad God was able to give us a book like that. A book that is real, honest, and full of pain...and healing.

Mother Knows Best Reviews said...

I love Psalms for the exact same reasons. Hugs to you.

Anonymous said...

(((((((((Franchesca))))))))))

Holly said...

I've been reading a lot of Psalms lately. They encourage me.

Once A Mother said...

Psalms are usually where I find a sense of understanding... just wanted to say that I LOVE the new look of your blog too.

Anonymous said...

I haven't read too much of psalms. Thank you for giving me something to read. *hugs*

Jill said...

So glad you find comfort in Psalms. ((HUGS))

PS Love your new blog look. Jenna is SO beautiful!

R said...

I understand what you mean about wanting to make the Lord look good. I want Levi's death to bring Him glory. I've shared the times I've felt desolate inside too- but then, so did David in the Psalms.

I think you have showed such faith and compassion to others that God does shine through you and through Jenna's life!
Peace & love to you!

Lori said...

Nancy Guthrie wrote in one of her days of devotion that she didn't want her pain wasted. I feel like those words echo my sentiments exactly, and sort of go with the making the Lord look good theme. In all of this...the utter despair...I know our pain is NOT wasted and makes a difference somehow. Just you sharing yours makes a difference to me.

I love the new layout. I went to your design site and have NO CLUE as to what I'd even start to think about, but want to!!!!

Hugs!

Heather said...

Amen to this post.

(((hugs)))

Jenna's Name Slideshow

Thank you so much for emailing me pictures of my Jenna's name. It means so much that you took time to remember my Jenna with me. XO