5.18.2010

The Last "First"

I feel like today is the last nail in the coffin. That's the mental picture that comes to mind. Today is the last 'first', other than her funeral date.

It's incredible how quickly time passed and how much life has changed, and then equally incredible how much it hasn't. Last night I heard thunder and saw flashes of lightening through the blinds. It was almost as if nature was mourning with me. I was dreading today and now that it's here I just want to sleep through it.

A year ago I was woken up at about 4:30 in the morning by an urgent voice. The attending NICU nurse informed my very sleepy and exhausted brain that my daughter didn't have much time to live, and that we needed to get down there asap. Luckily we were staying in the Ronald McDonald House so we were only a few minutes away from the level 3 NICU. I remember telling my husband to get dressed and that we needed to go, although I think he already knew what a phone call at that hour meant.

I remember racing down that really long hallway where they displayed patients' artwork. And then passing the milk bank that I would never use in hopes of my daughter's release ever again.

I remember hasting to her side, knowing I didn't have enough time left with her. One of the residents tried to approach me, probably to tell me what I already knew. I brushed her away as I was sobbing and could barely make out a sentence. I fell over her incubator and cried and cried and cried. My husband allowed the resident to explain things to him, but to me it just didn't matter anymore. I didn't want to spend the last few precious moments talking about why she wouldn't make it, or what they had tried to prevent this.

They really did all they could and for that we are so grateful. I remember seeing the looks of frustration on the young residents as they would try everything at their disposal to make our daughter all better. I remember them calling in the cardiologists, contacting different units in the hospital just to make sure they were doing everything possible to save this little girl's life.

I remember how glib they were about her small improvements that she would make, maybe trying to send silent signals to us not to get our hopes up too high.

:::

I have spent the entire past year disappointed in God. And most of the past year I have been angry at him. My endless questioning seems to not get any farther than the ceiling though. Why God would give me such a beautiful gift and take her away so soon? Why she made it past her birth and fought so hard, only to suffer and die anyway? My questions may have credence, but as you can see they wouldn't change my reality even if God did answer them.

I was hoping today I might turn a new leaf in this grief, and be suddenly past the anger, guilt and disappointment. But today's realization is that it's all still here.

From here until I die, I will be more than a year without her, starting at 5:06 in the evening. That makes me sad to know that tomorrow she will have died more than a year ago...


I wrestle with God with that question almost everyday in my heart... why'd you let her live only to let her die??? Why did she prove the doctor wrong and was born alive only to die 13 days later???


And then I remember, sometimes forcing myself... she had a purpose. She fought for her life for 13 days to stay with us, but what if the entire time I saw this tiny fighting NICU baby girl, God was singing to her and telling her how much her visit would change her parents one day? And what if she really didn't feel all that pain because she was that close to Heaven the entire time?

I see life as even more of a gift after watching her fight for every breath. Life comes so easy to those to whom it is given, but when you have to fight for it, or watch a loved one fight for life, it changes you to the core. I watch Joseph's chest rise and fall... rise and fall... rise and fall... I am keenly aware of how fragile life is. I don't take his ability to breath on his own for granted.

I wish I knew what Heaven's purpose for Jenna's short life was, but while I am here I will always be trying to make her life count. It won't ever make sense to me, and maybe it's not supposed to. And maybe that's the mystery of faith. To be able to trust the God who you don't quite understand.

He does know what's best, and he knew what was best for Jenna. When I can wrap my mind around how much God loves my daughter, I am humbled that he would choose me to carry such a precious little girl. She fought hard, she fought long, she fought well.

She is my constant motivator and inspiration to keep going. To keep loving, to keep believing.

Most people in this world will have children, and sadly will never fully know how blessed they are. But that's never the case when you've lost one of your own. I am blessed by both of my babies.

"...we were pressed out of measure, above strength, insomuch that we despaired even of life: But we had the sentence of death in ourselves, that we should not trust in ourselves, but in God which raiseth the dead:"
-2 Corinthians 1:8b,9

30 comments:

Mary said...

Oh Fran, I am weeping with you. We will never understand, will we? And I don't know if getting an answer to our questions would even help, because then we would have reasons, and still not them. Jenna has forever touched me, as have the writings that pour from your heart.

Jill said...

I have been thinking of you all day today. I am angry right with you and I too will never understand. Jenna has touched so many lives and her 13 days here were so meaningful and full of love. My heart aches with yours and I wish Jenna was here with you. Sending SO much LOVE your way!!!

Unknown said...

Fran I have been think a lot about you lately. I am feeling this anger with you. We have hit the point of TTC. I shouldn't be starting all over again. I should be holding my sweet baby boy. You are so strong and I know you will make it through today with flying colors.
GIANT HUGS COMING YOUR WAY TODAY!!!!

Britt said...

I am praying for you right now. You are so right, though, her life had purpose. She gifted you with more things than you will ever even be able to comprhend, but that doesn't make it hurt any less, does it? I am so sorry for your pain, but so thankful for your testimony! Thank you for sharing your heart today.

Elizabeth said...

I am praying for you. *hugs*

Antoinette said...

Franchesca, i am hurting right along with you now and always. YOUR daughter belongs with you HERE, but she did have a purpose and she always will, she is Joseph's big sister, she is YOUR first born and FIRST daughter. She has made you the woman you are today. I am praying for your strength as you approach your final "first"....God bless you, and give Joseph a special kiss at her "time" and tell him he is so lucky to have such an amazing sister in heaven xoxo

Jen said...

I have tears just running down my face...your description of the evening that Jenna went home to Heaven is heartbreaking...

I think every mommy of a rainbow baby does the same thing...the steady stare at the rise and fall of their precious baby's chest...knowing all to well what the alternative feels like...

I've had the same relationship with God and Lily has been gone for almost 2 years...I hope to one day be where my faith and trust was before she died...I pray for it, anyways...

Thinking of Jenna with you ((HUGS))

belle said...

(((hugs)))

Maggie said...

Sending lots of love your way. I'm thinking of you so much. I wish Jenna was here. XO

Lisette said...

Thinking of you. This post has me crying, it's beautiful and so heart breaking at the same time. I wish we all knew the purpose of all this pain. I think anger comes naturally because we don't deserve this and neither did our daughter's.
In order for me to not hold so much anger in, I forced myself to believe that God knew what is best. Perhaps He knew they were only going to suffer more, who knows. It hurts and I will never get over it no matter what.

Jenna has touched my life in so many ways. She is an amazing little girl. Thinking of both of you.

Lori said...

You always make me cry.

And I'm so humbled to have that honor.

Sending you so much love!

With Out My Punkin said...

Your post brought tears to my eyes, we got that phone call too, but got their after he had grown his wings. They should be here with us. I think of you often and as Jenna's angelversary is here I hope that the day is peaceful and you can smile through the tears. ((hugs))

Courtney said...

Oh my dear friend, this post has brought tears to my eyes.

Please know you have been close to my heart today.

many many *hugs*

Mother Knows Best Reviews said...

This brought tears to my eyes - I am thinking of you today. Sending you so many hugs and so much love.

The Blue Sparrow said...

Remembering Jenna with you and sending prayers your way. (((HUGS)))

Holly said...

Thinking of you and Jenna on this difficult day. Love to you

Laura said...

Wow! Thinking of you and remembering with you and yes- her life did, does and will count- forever! Sending Hugs to you- and like nature- mourning with you!
Peace-
L

PB&J said...

Dear Jenna... your time too short. Your love so big.. lots of greatfulness we have to give... that you did live and that you are amazing.

Thinking of you today and always...

dotalot said...

that acceptance of just what is, is, is really hard. i feel for you fran, big hugs and lots of love, anne xxx

Mattie said...

(((Big Hugs)))

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I didn't know you a year ago and when I think that while I was celebrating my daughters 28th birthday you were saying good-bye to your Jenna. We can have our best days when others are having their worst. It makes me think that I must always, in the best of times, pray for others. Your post has given me allot to think about.
I am so sorry, keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. ((HUGS))

Melissa said...

I am so sorry for the loss of sweet Jenna and I hope that your day has been filled with peace and love.

Thinking of you.

carissa said...

thank you for sharing your heart and being totally honest. it's beautiful to see how the Lord has been faithful in the midst of this heartache... you still trust Him and love Him and it's a beauiful thing!

Karen said...

Thinking of you, Franchesca, and sending you love. You've been on my mind and in my heart because I know our babies died just one day apart. I'm conflicted as you are; I'm glad you have shared your grief journey and all about your memories of beautiful Jenna Belle. (Job 7:11) Remembering and grieving with you. xo

Once A Mother said...

Fran, sending you lots of love. I know how tough a milestone this is, please know that so, so many people are missing your sweet girl with you. Peace xx

Christy said...

Just wanting you to know that I am here with you, sending as much love as I can. I'm so sorry she's not here with you :(
xoxo

AmberLCook said...

I follow your blog. I wanted to say I am thinking about you. May God soon heal your heart in ways you could not imagine. From your posts I was wondering if you have had another child since Jena. I am currently ttc after a stillbirth Jan. 26th 2009 at 36 wks. 3 days. I was curious as to if you kept a blog through your pregnancy after loss. I always enjoy reading your honest words.
Amber

Jess said...

I'm sorry I'm late to comment Franchesca, but wanted you to know I grieve with you as you miss Jenna and recount the events surrounding the time of her death. Such a heartbreaking, life-changing day. There will always be so many unanswered questions while we are on this earth, and all we can really do is cling to the love that is in our hearts because of our sweet babies, and the promise of heaven. You are doing such a beautiful job of carrying on and allowing your life to reflect beauty because of Jenna. So many special things that you do for others, and just your words on this blog that touch so, so many hearts.
Thinking of Jenna with you, and sending you big hugs!!

Crystal Theresa said...

love and hugs to you, Franchesca.

Susan Payton said...

Stay strong and remember that yes, God is VERY BIG. Although I have not lost a child, I feel I have had some very high mountains to climb in my life. You are on the right track, for focusing on the positive, God will show you the way to find peace in your heart. Somehow I believe God's power finds the way to even things up in the long run and making our lives bearable. Jesus said, we would have difficult times. Hang in there and keep praying. Live each day of your life as if it were a gift. God will take care of the rest.
Susan
http://amazingcouponanddiscountdeals.blogspot.com
http://joininandgogreen.blogspot.com

Jenna's Name Slideshow

Thank you so much for emailing me pictures of my Jenna's name. It means so much that you took time to remember my Jenna with me. XO